During our reading time, the students choose to “read to self,” “read with someone” and “listen to reading.” While they do this, I have had the pleasure to do 1:1 reading assessments and getting to know each child better as a reader.
In writing we are studying the way other authors write and admiring what they include to make their stories interesting. We in-turn are trying these craft-moves in our own stories to make our writing stronger. Some craft-moves include setting a mood from the start, repetition, comeback lines, making lists, and show not tell.
Most math sessions start with a math-talk; a time when we make a learning goal and discuss new mathematical vocabulary. Then we play games and work in groups to extend our learning. The key concepts we are currently learning are:
- understanding place value (hundreds, tens, and ones)
- Count within 1,000 skip-count by 5s, 10s, and 100s
- compare numbers within 1,000
- fluently add and subtract within 20
Please remember it is early dismissal on Wednesday (1:30) and curriculum night on Thursday. I will have our volunteer schedule and a conference sign up sheet posted Thursday night. See the bottom of this blog post for a sample of the conference schedule. If you cannot make it Thursday night, please send me your top three choices.
Other Quick Points:
- We had our first fire drill on Friday
- Your child can access their Raz-Kids and Dreambox accounts from home. It’s easiest to start on the QAE “Library/Resources”page
- raz-Kids: They should know their personal picture password
- Dreambox: username is your child’s first name and last name initial. They should then know their personal picture password
- ex: ciaral
- Andrew’s family for the new room plant
- William’s mom for checking folders for us every morning